Friday, March 18, 2011

Books You Should Read


Book time!  Here is a recommendation from each of my people:

From Columbus, his favorite book. If he sees you standing still, chances are good that he will coming running with this:

Fifteen Animals!

From Buttercup. We gave her this for her birthday and it kept all five children and me riveted.  The illustrations are beautifully drawn--gorgeous, in fact; and the fearful dragon as horrid as could be hoped. We all have a new respect for St. George, and (what's even better) got a new and non-Disney princess to add to our repertoire of princesses we want to be:

Saint George and the Dragon

From Tinkerbell, who read this all by herself during naptimes. It is a fun, simple story with sweet, line-drawn illustrations.

Little Pear (Odyssey Classics (Odyssey Classics))

From Luigi. A book he just finished, and liked almost as much as Tintin and Asterix:

Om-Kas-Toe Blackfoot Twin Captures Elkdog autographed 1992 paperback

But for the sake of a good picture, here's another:

Asterix the Gaul

From Petunia, who is working on this right now. To my surprised delight, it actually has the same illustrator as St. George, above.

Caddie Woodlawn (Fiction)

We have begun to acquire quite a library, and at the moment I'm glad to have it chock full of recommendations from this curriculum supplier/advisor, because their book lists are invariably top-notch.  But we always stay on the lookout for more, more, more to read.  I hate nine out of ten books the kids find at the library, so in my book (heh heh) personal recommendations are really a must.  What are some of your favorites? And which of your kiddos has you chronically challenged to find something new? Petunia keeps me hopping, because she can casually knock off two or three books per afternoon rest.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, yea for book recommendations! A few of these are new titles to me. And we love-love that edition of St. George. Also, I am ashamed once again that I have still never read Caddie Woodlawn. And Carol Ryrie Brink was even a Moscow, ID, native and all. (How on earth did I manage to skip this one during my elementary years?) Maybe I should take this as my cue to finally get myself a copy and read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'll be getting my hands on at least two of these, and possibly more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommends. Where do I begin? Here are some of our favorite (As in ones that kids and I can all agree on.)
    Seven Silly Eaters by Mary Ann Hoberman (kids have it memorized)
    Christmas in the Noisy Village-Astrid Lindgren (My Swedish fix)
    Hansel & GRetel - Cynthia Rylant, Illustrated by Jen Corace (Beautiful.)
    This Place in the Snow- by Rebecca Bond
    Snowy Day- Ezra Jack Keats (Everyone already knows about that one, but GReta asks for it daily, so it bears repeating.)

    ReplyDelete