Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Little Nap

Today I thought I would lie on the floor and take a little nap.  Not really a nap, properly speaking; more of a horizontal hiatus in between activities.  The only potential glitch was the company I was keeping.  And indeed, during the course of a two-minute rest:

Buttercup climbed on my back (in my sleep I told her to get off).

Columbus climbed on my back. (I ignored him because telling him to get off does no good.)

Buttercup and Columbus together climbed on my back.

Columbus made me a gift of several crayons, and since I didn't seem to be appreciating them he tried to poke them into my eyes, evidently reasoning that that way if my eyes ever opened up I would see the crayons first thing.

Buttercup gave me a nice back scratch, and coincidentally, Columbus discovered that the pastime of nipping my shirt up by about six inches and putting his cold fingers on my back elicited an attention-grabbing response.

Columbus found a brush and brushed my hair while Buttercup finished my spa treatment.  Naturally this involved both of them sitting on my back.

The nap ended when I felt a small body snuggle endearingly up against me.  It was Buttercup. She nestled against my side so that we were essentially nose to nose.  Then, oh so delicately: "Mommy?" she breathed.  I opened my eyes to see her sparkling and not-at-all restful ones, only about an inch away.  "Yes?" I asked resignedly.  She smiled. "Your lipstick's comin' off."

No comments:

Post a Comment